Career and subject counselling ensures students move into the VCE with a clear pathway for the future. We encourage Year 10 students to have high expectations of themselves as they set and pursue their goals.
Career counselling and VCE subject planning is a major focus of Year 10. To support this, all students undertake a week of work experience. We also teach essential work skills such as writing resumes and job applications, and interview skills. Students are encouraged to speak to a variety of mentors throughout their school and community to explore possible pathways. They also attend university open days and TAFE ‘taster’ classes.
Our Career Department's aim is to give students and parents links to information relating to a variety of vocations and pathways. With this in mind, we assist students with:
Individual careers counselling and vocational assessments for all senior students
- Subject choice counselling for senior students to assist with career planning
- VTAC preference counselling for VCE students
- Change of Preference counselling and University transition for Year 12 students
- Liaison with VTAC, Universities and TAFEs.
- Access to a comprehensive Careers Resource Centre
- Weekly Career News newsletter
- Work Experience management and support
- Job Application training, and Interview Preparation.
- Vocational Education (VETiS) management for VCE students
The Careers Centre at Elwood College maintains a rich and extensive, up to date careers library which includes the very latest career and course information. There is also a full service Careers Website that is available to all students, parents and guardians.