The building blocks for a great education begin with students coming to school each and every day.
We strongly discourage students missing school unless it is absolutely necessary. Although giving your child an occasional ‘day off’ may seem harmless, missing school can have a big impact on students academically and socially.
There is no safe number of days for missing school – each day a student misses puts them behind, and can have a ‘snowball effect’ on their learning confidence.
If a student is feeling anxious or resentful about school, missing school will only magnify those negative emotions.
Students who are absent from school or late to school must have permission from their Parent or Guardian.
If your child must miss school, please take the following steps:
- Notify the college IN ADVANCE of the absence via the Compass Portal.
- Alternatively, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone our attendance officer on (03) 9531 1422.
- Encourage your child to speak with each classroom teacher to arrange to catch up on the work they have missed.
- Speak to the Year Level Coordinator urgently about any issues that are leading to absences.
- It may be necessary to develop an absence learning plan and ensure your child completes the plan.
Students who are late to school must go to the Attendance Office to sign in. If the Student does not come to the Attendance Office upon late arrival to school, they will be marked as 'not present' for the period(s) missed.
The school will send an email to Parents/Guardians each day to notify you of any absence. If we do not receive any notification in reply we will endeavour to contact the Parent/Guardian by phone.