Our School Zone
Our school zone is available on findmyschool.vic.gov.au which hosts the most up-to-date information about Victorian school zones.
Students residing in this zone are guaranteed a place at our school, which is determined on the basis of your permanent residential address.
The Department provides guidance through the Placement Policy to ensure that students have access to their designated neighbourhood school and the freedom to choose other schools, subject to facility limitations.
You can find more information and answers to frequently asked questions on the Department’s website under School zones.
Priority of Placement
All applications are considered by Elwood College in line with the Department of Education's Placement Policy's Priority Order of Placement as follows:-
- Students for whom the school is the designated neighbourhood school
- Students with a sibling at the same permanent address who are attending the school at the same time
- Where the Regional Director has restricted enrolment, students who reside nearest the school
- Student see enrolment on specific curriculum grounds
- All other students in order of closeness of their home to the school
- In exceptional circumstances, compassionate grounds.
Proof of Permanent Residence
Families will be requested to provide documented evidence to verify their residential address:
- An original or certified copy of an unconditional contract of sale or Lease Agreement (the lease must be through a registered Real Estate Agent and be for a minimum of 12 months, inclusive of the proposed start date. Private lease arrangements, including staying with friends or relatives, are not acceptable); and
A certified copy of the most recent electricity or gas account or letter of connection, plus a certified copy of two of the following (showing your current residential address)
- A copy of a Drivers Licence; or
- A copy of the electoral roll listing; or
- A letter from Medicare or other government agency
All documents must show the same address and parent/carer name as recorded on the enrolment form.
When assessing enrolment applications, Elwood College may make the following enquiries to verify the information provided about a student’s permanent residence:
- Checking the electoral roll at an Australian Electoral Commission office or the Victorian Electoral Commission head office
- Checking with a real estate office
- Checking whether the contact landline phone number provided is registered to the residence provided on the enrolment form
- For a rental property which is a studio apartment or one bedroom unit, checking whether there are any regulations/codes limiting the occupancy of these apartments to one person per apartment
Note: If, after reasonable enquiries, the Principal does not accept that the address provided on the enrolment application form is the genuine residence of the student, the enrolment application may not be successful.
Transition from Year 6 to Year 7
Initially, your child's primary school will manage the transition from Grade 6 to Year 7.
By the first week of Term 2, all Primary Schools should have distributed to the parents of Year 6 children information relating to secondary education and an 'Application for Year 7 Placement' form. If you would like your child to attend Elwood College, it is important that you list us as your first preference.
Complete this form, taking into consideration of the Elwood College Enrolment Criteria above, sign it, and return to your child's primary school by the due date.
Every effort is made to consider all applications for Year 7, however with high demand for enrolments at Elwood College, careful thought should be given in your remaining preferences if you permanent address is outside of our neighbourhood boundaries.
Placement offers will be communicated via your child's primary school in August 2021. After this point, we will send information about how to accept the placement offer to those families of students offered a place for Year 7, 2022. This step will also require families to provide supporting documentation to verify their permanent residential address.
Enrolments Years 8 - 12
Enrolments for Years 8 - 11 will only be considered in Terms 1 and 3.
Please complete the expression of interest form, taking into consideration the Elwood College Enrolment Criteria above.
Every application for enrolment at the college will be considered individually and assessed on the information available at the time of application.
Once it has been confirmed that a student qualifies to attend Elwood College, an interview process will take place where the student will be asked about their goals, previous academic history and what they hope to achieve from their placement at Elwood College. Parents/Guardians and students are both required to attend.
At this interview, parents/guardians will need to supply originals of school reports, documents supporting proof of residence, court orders and any other relevant documentation.
Submission of this form does not guarantee enrolment.
PLEASE DO NOT COMPLETE THIS FORM IF YOUR CHILD IS TRANSITIONING FROM GRADE 6 TO YEAR 7. THIS PROCESS IS COORDINATED BY YOUR PRIMARY SCHOOL.
CLICK HERE to complete our Expression of Interest for Year 8 to Year 12. (This form must be completed by the parent)